As the out-going President of the Summit Neighborhood Association (SNA) I am happy to announce the recent election of the SNA’s new 2011 President, Dean Weinberg. Dean has proven himself as an active member of the SNA, last year serving as Treasurer and leading the organizing for the 1st Annual Summit Neighborhood Music Festival. As I step down from my post, I would also like to ask you to help support the work of the SNA in the coming year by renewing your membership or by becoming a new member.
Your SNA $15.00 membership fee brings real value to you personally and to the Summit neighborhood in all kinds of ways. Here’s a “Top Ten” list highlighting just some of the SNA’s accomplishments over this past year.
- We sponsored two debates at the JCC featuring candidates for state senate and state representative and a congressional candidate debate.
- We worked on Miriam’s master plan so that the interests of the neighbors would be heard.
- To help with the revitalization of North Main Street, we supported the formation of a new North Main Street Merchant Association
- On the subject of revitalization of North Main Street, we successfully negotiated with the city to have the one-way block on Smithfield Avenue restored to a two way street. The change will happen this spring thanks to the help of Gordon Fox and Kevin Jackson.
- We helped the group ‘Parents for Lippit Park’ construct a new children’s play-scape. Parents for Lippit Park raised the money and SNA supported the effort with volunteer hours.
- We sponsored a neighborhood-wide yard sale, which I hope brought financial benefit to you.
- We held the first annual music festival in Lippit Park, enjoyed by hundreds of local residents.
- This spring, water will flow again in the Lippit Park fountain thanks to several years of work and advocacy by SNA board members.
- Lets not forget the list server that so many of you use on a daily basis, moderated and funded by the SNA. The list-serve is just one great example of how the SNA helps inform the neighborhood. Summit@sna.providence.ri.us
- We also write and distribute four newsletters a year and this year created a new web site and blog to keep you all apprised of the SNA’s activities. www.sna.providence.ri.us
As you can see the work that the Summit Neighborhood Association does is worth a great deal more than your $15.00 annual membership fee. Thank you for becoming a member and supporting the work of our local neighborhood association. It is neighbors working together that make this a great neighborhood to live in.
You can make your $15.00 membership check out to The Summit Neighborhood Association and mail it to The Summit Neighborhood Association, P.O. Box 41092, Providence, RI 02940.
Thanks again, it has been a pleasure serving as the SNA’s President this past year.
George Schietinger, Outgoing President
Summit Neighborhood Association