Members Present: Jim Barfoot, Chris Bull, Grant Dulgarian, Anneliese Greenier, Vishal Jain, Kerry Kohring, Michael McGlynn, Britt Page, Sheila Perlow, Lee Pichette, Peter Sandby-Thomas, Thomas Schmeling, Dean Weinberg.

Members Absent: Sierra Barter, Daren Bulley, Daniel MacLellan, Joan Retsinas, Mary Ann Rossoni, Sharon Waldman.

Guests: David Kolsky (advisory board), Jennifer Boyland (Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America, Rhode Island)

The meeting was brought to order at 7:03 PM

President’s Report: Dean has filed our annual report as a non-profit organization with the Secretary of State. The Music Festival is coming along nicely, as is the reconfiguration of Smithfield Avenue.

Miscellaneous comments and questions: Chris noted that the repairs to the water lines on his street have not been done yet, and there was a brief discussion of the progress on the Narragansett Bay Commission project.  There was a short discussion regarding how one might get a “Slow Children” sign on one’s street.

Welcome guests: Jennifer Boylan from Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America, Rhode Island, addressed the Board and asked us to pledge to vote for candidates who support sensible gun regulations. The organization will provide scorecards for candidates.  They are not endorsing local candidates. She handed out pledge sheets to Board members.

Minutes: Kerry moved and Sheila seconded approval of the June minutes. Approved unanimously.

The Treasurer’s Report was presented.  Chris moved approval and Lee seconded. Approved unanimously.

Tshirts: We have sold though most sizes. Vishal put together an order for more, which will come in time for upcoming events if ordered immediately.  The order is for 25 shirts at a cost of $12.28 each, for a total cost $307. Tom moved and Sheila seconded approval for Vishal to make the purchase.  Approved unanimously.  After a brief discussion, it was agree that the shirts should be sold for $15.

Candidate Forums. All arrangements have been made for the upcoming forums. The Mayoral and General Assembly candidates’ forum will be Tuesday July 22.  The Gubernatorial candidates’ formum will be the following week. Sheila has taken care of the refreshments. Both will run from 7pm to 9pm.

Photo Contest. (Joan). Two photographers judged the competition. There were about a dozen submissions. The photos will be on display after the 29th at Camera Werks and/or Zacks.

Yard Sale (Britt) will take place Sat, Sept. 13th.  Anneliese volunteered to distribute flyers on Hope St. The committee is working on logistics.  Information is in the newsletter. 3 people have registered already. Michael built a Google Docs form for registration. We need volunteers to help set up at 8:15 and break down after 2pm.

Summit Ave Park. Lee Kerry and Dean met with Bob McMahon. Nothing will happen this summer.

Membership committee. The committee met and revised the membership description and other information. This will be distributed to the listserv on a quarterly basis. We have fixed the problems with Paypal. They will continue to refine this to give options for different levels of giving.

Music Festival. The festival will be on Aug 23rd from 1-6 PM in Lippett Park. We are still waiting to hear about the headliner. Anthony Arrigo is helping with the poster. The lead Sponsor is HealthSource RI (state health exchange) which contributed generously.  Other sponsors include Empire Guitars, Daniele Inc., Camera Werks, The Rhode Guide, Frog and Toad, Seven Stars, Kreatelier, The Mortgage Network, Sandwich Hut, Aaron Simon (Wells Fargo) Hope Street Merchants Assn., Hope Street Farmers Market. We have raised $9,700 so far.  Dean was congratulated by the Board for his fine work on this.

We need volunteers starting at 8am. And for teardown 6-7.

Local bands will include Smith and Weeden. Dr. Jones and the Shiners, and Johnny Lingo. Emmaline Easton, a crowd favorite from last year, will return. There will be a beer garden, and an art wall. Zip car will have a booth and there will be assorted vendors of food.

Fall Cook-Off. Lee recruited Jenna Lafayette to run the cook-off. She will come to one meeting for approval of date, theme, and venue. Lee will be the Board liaison to Jenna. Kerry will provide a deadline for the newsletter. We will shoot for October for the event.

North Main Street. There was nothing to report beyond the progress on the improvements to Smithfield Ave.

Newsletters. Have gone out to deliverers.

Zoning. Grant suggested that the Board discuss the zoning ordinance revisions. It was suggested that most board members do not have the time or expertise to become familiar with the ordinance. It was suggested that a subcommittee be formed to study the ordinance and report back to the board. Tom moved and Michael seconded the formation of a committee including Grant, Britt, and Chris. Unanimously approved.

The Planning Commission will meet Tuesday, July 29th and on Aug 19th for final approval. The subcommittee will meet and review proposal and report to us on Aug 18th.

The meeting was adjourned after a motion by Tom.

Respectfully Submitted: Thomas Schmeling,Secretary.

0 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *